TJ Admission Test includes Advanced Science, Critical Reading, Advanced Math, and SIS (Student Information Sheets/Essay Writing).
Link: Contact Us
Location: 2705 Hunter Mill Road, Vienna/Oakton, VA 22124
The TJ admission prep session includes Advanced Critical Reading, Essay writing, verbal and grammatical skills. It will provide students opportunity to practice the latest testing materials: ACT Aspire (Critical Reading/Science), Math (Quant Q), as well as PSAT (Preliminary SAT). It will enable students to exceed in English language, Math and Science learning. It will also get them well prepared for specialized high school admission tests, including private high school, and TJ admission in Fairfax. Many students who joined this prep class got admitted to TJ or AOS, or national prestigious private schools.
Math review will enhance students’ problem solving skills, help students refresh, reflect and practice the following concepts. Oakton Academy TJ prep will also include Mathcounts word problems, which will be included in the TJ admission.
- Arithmetic review, including number properties, factors, divisibility, fractions, decimals, exponents, radicals, percent, averages, ratios, proportions, rates, and probability; Algebra review (the basics): Algebra word problems; Geometry review: concepts, practice, as well as logical, analytical problem solving.
Science review includes advanced ACT testing materials. It has a variety of skills practice and instruction on problem solving techniques, extensive science and mathematical modeling practice with challenging, multi-step tasks. Students will be ready to take any high school specialized standard tests for admissions.
TJ SIS Essay Writing Workshop
During the 6- 8 weeks’ training and practice, our students will reflect, brainstorm, draft, and write about themselves. In the TJ Essay Test, students will be required to write about their interest, passion, activities, enthusiasm about STEM. Students will also be required to write about why they would want to go to TJ, and what they could contribute to the TJ community, etc. etc. Thanks to the benefit of the small class size, our teachers will be able to conduct 1:1 essay review with each student, who will get prepared for the TJ Essay Writing (semifinalists’ 2nd round of the TJ test). In the process, our students grow to be an advanced and confident writers, the skill that will bring them further into high school, colleges, and into their future.
Testimony: “The summer TJ prep is one of the most organized, structured TJ prep we have had. The materials the teachers are using are also very advanced and challenging. We will definitely sign up for the fall prep class. Thank you!” – from a summer TJ prep parent
Important Dates for 2019 – 2020 Winter Round**
- September 2, 2019 – Online applications available.
- September 27, 2019 – APPLICATION DEADLINE at 4:00 p.m.
- November 9, 2019 – Test Day
- November 15, 2019 – Accommodations Test Day
- January 17, 2020 – Applicants receive semifinalist pool notification through online system
- January 24, 2020 – Deadline for Applicants to Enter Teacher Recommendation Information
- February 8, 2020 – Essay/SIS Administration Day
- February 10, 2020 – Deadline for Teachers to Complete Recommendations
- February 14, 2020 – Essay/SIS Accommodations Test Day
- February 15, 2020 – Inclement Weather date for Essay/SIS Administration
- February 21, 2020 – Inclement Weather date for Essay/SIS Accommodations Test Day
- April 30, 2020 – Final admissions decisions posted (No later than)
A group of 8th graders who took our fall and summer PSAT, TJ, AOS, and SSAT review classes were admitted to AOS, TJ, and private school, including Madeira, St. Jones, National Cathedral School, Potomac School, and other top national private schools. Congratulations to them and we wish them great success in high school.