TJ Admission Test includes Advanced Science, Critical Reading, Advanced Math, and SIS (Student Information Sheets/Essay Writing).
Location: 2705 Hunter Mill Road, Vienna/Oakton, VA 22124
The TJ admission prep session includes Advanced Critical Reading, Essay writing, verbal and grammatical skills. It will provide students the opportunity to practice the latest testing materials: ACT Aspire (Critical Reading/Science), Math (Quant Q), as well as PSAT (Preliminary SAT). It will enable students to exceed in English language, Math, and Science learning. It will also get them well prepared for specialized high school admission tests, including private high school, and TJ admission in Fairfax. Many students who joined this prep class got admitted to TJ or AOS, or national prestigious private schools.
2018 (last year) TJ test results have proven that the materials we have used, and the approach we have taken aligned with TJ Admission requirements.
Answer: Yes. Absolutely! It is good training for students to learn:
Question: What if my child made it to the first #1 round of TJ Admission test, what should we prepare for the #2 round?
Answer: You will receive the notification on January 17, 2020. It is a great plan to start Essay Writing Practice before that date. The second round test date is February 8, 2020. Your child will not have sufficient time to practice writing. We encourage students to start the essay writing practice NOW!
- how to select good topics to write about
- how to structure and organize their writings
- how to apply their writings to the TJ Admission Tests
- How to apply their writings to other applications in middle and high schools: such as their future application for debate clubs, for governor’s school, for summer talented programs, as well as their high school writing requirements
- It is important to receive “WRITING TRAINING as early as possible
- TJ Admission #2 round of essay writing could make the student stand out in the large applicants’ pool. Admission Committee looks closely at students’ writings, teachers’ rec letters, and other submitted materials
- TJ Essay Writing, SAT Essay Writing, Internship Application Essay Writing, College Application Essay Writing, all of which would require students’ excellent writing skills.
TJ Test in 2018: our students received very high scores of 94/99/99; 99/98/94; 98/89/99 (Math/Science/English). The results have demonstrated their achievement. Some students came to the class to improve their English language, and writing, they consider it was hard for them to pass the English portion of the test. Many of them actually made it happen with very high scores! Congratulations to our students!
Math review will enhance students’ problem-solving skills, help students refresh, reflect, and practice the following concepts. Oakton Academy TJ prep will also include Mathcounts word problems, which will be included in the TJ admission.
Arithmetic review, including number properties, factors, divisibility, fractions, decimals, exponents, radicals, percent, averages, ratios, proportions, rates, and probability; Algebra review (the basics): Algebra word problems; Geometry review: concepts, practice, as well as logical, analytical problem-solving.
Science review includes advanced ACT testing materials. It has a variety of skills practice and instruction on problem-solving techniques, extensive science, and mathematical modeling practice with challenging, multi-step tasks. Students will be ready to take any high school specialized standard tests for admissions.
TJ SIS Essay Writing Workshop
During the 6 weeks’ training and practice, our students will reflect, brainstorm, draft, and write about themselves. In the TJ Essay Test, students will be required to write about their interests, passion, activities, enthusiasm about STEM. Students will also be required to write about why they would want to go to TJ, and what they could contribute to the TJ community, etc. etc. Thanks to the benefit of the small class size, our teachers will be able to conduct a 1:1 essay review with each student, who will get prepared for the TJ Essay Writing (semifinalists’ 2nd round of the TJ test). In the process, our students grow to be an advanced and confident writer, the skill that will bring them further into high school, and colleges.
Testimony: “The summer TJ prep is one of the most organized, structured TJ prep we have had. The materials the teachers are using are also very advanced and challenging. We will definitely sign up for the fall prep class. Thank you!” – from a summer TJ prep parent
“We are very impressed by the teachers’ dedication and hard work. My son came for the fall TJ Prep, and he did extremely well in English (99%), which was a big surprise to us. He said the teacher prepared him well in constructed free-response questions, as well as SIS essay writing. We are very grateful to Oakton Academy, and would, without doubt, recommend it to any other students.” – from a fall TJ prep parent
“My son received 94%, 99%, 98% for his TJ Test. He received the admission letter today from TJ. Thank you Oakton Academy for all the hard work and training….” from a fall TJ prep parent
“My son came for the Summer TJ prep, and he continued with the Fall class. We just received the letter of TJ admission. He did 89%, 99% and 99%. We would like to thank you for providing the solid training for TJ prep…..” from a summer and fall TJ Prep parent
Important Dates for 2019 – 2020 Winter Round**
- September 2, 2019 – Online applications available.
- September 27, 2019 – APPLICATION DEADLINE at 4:00 p.m.
- November 9, 2019 – Test Day
- November 15, 2019 – Accommodations Test Day
- January 17, 2020 – Applicants receive semifinalist pool notification through online system
- January 24, 2020 – Deadline for Applicants to Enter Teacher Recommendation Information
- February 8, 2020 – Essay/SIS Administration Day
- February 10, 2020 – Deadline for Teachers to Complete Recommendations
- February 14, 2020 – Essay/SIS Accommodations Test Dayy
- April 30, 2020 – Final admissions decisions posted (No later than)
A group of 8th graders who took our fall and summer PSAT, TJ, AOS, and SSAT review classes were admitted to AOS, TJ, and private school, including Madeira, St. Jones, National Cathedral School, St. Paul’s School, and other top national private schools. Congratulations to them and wish them great success in their high schools.