A note from a former student who attended the July College Essay Workshop (April ’18)
“I definitely found the workshop to be very helpful. In my experience this year as a senior and watching all the seniors around me going through this college process I’ve come to realize what may have been most helpful is the timing. Everyone tells you at the end of your junior year that you want to start your essays and applications early, but you never really do. I think the workshop was a great way to get people to not only start but be able to look over their work over and over again. The open workshop where you get opinions from both professionals and other students really helps out. Also, the workshop gives you a professional opinion on what you’re looking to write in your essays. A lot of people are excellent writers, but it’s more than just being able to write a good essay. You have to know what the colleges are looking for, and that’s hard because every college is looking for something different. ” – a former student graduating in June 2018, will be in class of NYU 2022
A note from a parent (December ’17):
“K. got the ED offer for his dream school – NYU Stern Business School. Thank you all at Oakton Academy for the help in the past two years. The great work gave K. a solid foundation for his college application. We really appreciate every help you gave to him. ” – a student who attends Oakton HS, and will attend class of NYU 2022
A note from a parent (April ’18)
My son shared with me that Ms. Laura is very knowledgeable. She told him that W&M, VT will be his safe school, he is on the borderline of UVA. It turns out to be exactly true: he got accepted by W&M, VT (with scholarship), and wait listed on UVA. – a note from a parent whose son attended 2017 Summer College Essay Workshop
A note from an AP Physics student (March ’18)
I attended Dr. Lu’s summer AP Physics Introduction class. That helped me build up a good foundation of AP Physics. So far, I am getting As in my class. This semester, I am also taking Dr. Lu’s AP Physics Review class, and am hoping to achieve 5 for my AP Physics exam. – from a student who attends Oakton HS as a junior
A note from a summer AP Physics student (July ’17)
“This AP Physics class was the only one I’ve taken in which I did not waste any time during the class. Everything Dr. Lu taught helped me learn and understand AP Physics. I received A and also got 5 for AP Physics, and 770 for SAT Physics. Dr. Lu is the best teacher I have ever had. ” – a note from a student who attends Montgomery Blaire High School
Following are some testimonies from former students (College Essay Workshop ’17)
Testimony 1: “Before the workshop, I had no clue what I was doing for my personal statement. The workshop taught me so many strategies, outlines, and tips to help me. I have learned so much from the teachers and my peers. Ms. Courtney has helped me see this process as a journey-of analyzing, brainstorming, and reflecting through high school and life. I can’t believe I completed 3 common application essay topics, the application form, as well as a few short supplemental essays all within 5 weeks. In addition, the counselors reviewed my work, talked to me frequently, and provided individual advice and guidance. The session was extremely helpful, as teachers and the counselors identified the problems in my application immediately and it helped me quickly focus on the areas I need to improve.”
Testimony 2: “This session definitely helped me meet the deadline of college applications. Without it, there is no way I could’ve finished all the forms, activity lists, and essays within 5 weeks, if I did it at home by myself. The workshop environment helped push me in a friendly and positive way. I am grateful that I got so much done, especially because of the counselor that advised me on my EA/ED selections. I can’t thank the teachers enough, as they reviewed my essays almost 6 times, because each teacher did at least 2-3 rounds. I will definitely recommend it to my friends.”
Testimony 3: “After the workshop, I feel much more confident in submitting my EA/ED applications, having only written a few essays before attending. The process of having teachers reviewing each essay multiple times, a counselor helping me reflect on the past 4 years’ high school, and having the list of schools reviewed, discussed, selected, and finalized helped my parents and I tremendously. We all feel much more confident in the application process. Many thanks to Ms. Laura, Ms. Courtney, and Ms. Ivy.”
A note from a summer AP Physics student at Oakton HS (July ’17):
“The class helped me understand the difficult concept in AP Physics 1. Each week, we reviewed challenging questions and problems, and learned together as a group with Dr. Lu’s strategy, coaching, and guidance. I got an A in my AP Physics class. I am thrilled with my progress and can’t believe how much I’ve learned.” (a note from a junior)
A note from a parent (July 2017)
J. C. took Ms. Murphy’s SAT summer camp last year (2016), she just received 1570 from the May SAT test (2017). We are thrilled and would like to thank Ms. Murphy and Oakton Academy for the excellent SAT program. J. took the mock exam last summer when she was a sophomore, and she receive 1470 at that time. During her 1:1 review with Ms. Murphy, the teacher told J that she should be able to gain 100 points, and J actually made it happen and received 1570 in her SAT Exam (2017)! We are very grateful for the high quality of the program, and the most experienced teachers. They are the experts in SAT, the positive and friendly learning environment that Oakton Academy has created. My daughter J. loved it so much, and thank you again! (The student attended McLean HS)
Remarks from Oakton Academy (2017 Summer SAT Camp):
2017 SAT Camp was again a great success! The program has received overwhelming praise from both parents and students. Students received weekly updates, went through initial assessment, mid-term exam, and final exam. The class had improvement, ranging from 50 to 150 points. The highest score in the final exam is 1550 (770/780). Kudos to our excellent teachers and our hard working students!
A note from an SAT Math student (2016)
In doing so, I was able to exam problems from multiple viewpoints, and thus acquire a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts. Moreover, with taking a section of a practice test each week, I began to identify my weaknesses and could now focus on addressing the specific types of problems and concepts with which I struggled the most. Each week’s homework consisted of series of problem sets, with each set containing only five problems: far from overbearing yet providing a practice opportunity critical to understanding specific concepts. The teacher is extremely knowledgeable, and can address students’ individual questions and concerns.
- 2017 May/June SAT Test Results:
- Student 1: 1500 (740/760)
- Student 2: 1570 (780/790)
- Student 3: 1570 (770/800)
- Student 4: 1540 (740/800)
- Student 5: 1540 (740/800)
- Student 6: 1530 (740/790)
- Student 7: 1500 (740/760)
- Student 8: SAT Physics (770)
- Student 9: SAT Physics (800)
We do not publish students’ names as we agree to protect their privacy; additional data and report are in the process. Congratulations to the students who have reported to us and who have achieved excellent scores on their SAT test!
- 2016 October SAT Test Results:
- Student 1: English 780, Essay 7-8-8, Math 770
- Student 2: English 750, Essay 7-7-7, Math 770
- Student 3: English 720, Essay 7-7-7, Math 800
- Student 4: English 740, Essay 7-8-8, Math 800
- More Juniors (2016) will take the SAT in January 2017. An intensive SAT class is held in late December. Congratulations to the students who worked hard and achieved such excellent SAT scores!!!
- 2016 November SAT Test Results:
- Student 1: 700/770
- Student 2: 770/800
- Student 3: 750/770
- Student 4: 730/750
- Essays range from 17 – 24 (total score of 24, 8-8-8); some received high scores of 7-8-8; and 8-8-7 for Essay Writing
- 2016 December SAT Test Results:
- Student 1: 740/770
- Student 2: 750/790
- Student 3: 750/800
- Student 4: 790/780
- Pending more students to report (due to holiday, many are out of town). Congratulations to the hard working students!
- 2017 January SAT Test Results: (*SAT Honored Club)
- Student 1: 720/800
- Student 2: 740/790
- Student 3: 720/800
- Student 4: 750/680
- Student 5: 790/790
- Student 6: <700/790
- Student 7: <700/790
- A quick update on SAT Test Reports (Oct/Nov/Dec 2016 and Jan 2017). The results demonstrated the value and strength of our SAT program, which received overwhelming praise from parents and students.
- Students who took Ms. Murphy’s Critical Reading/Writing at 10th Grade; and took her SAT over the summer. They achieved scores as high as listed above (720-800).
- Parents are very grateful to Ms. Murphy’s Reading and Writing class, and the SAT training class. Student Joanne said that “Ms. Murphy’s class definitely helped me achieve 750 for English, and 7-7-7 for the essay writing. I took one semester’s CRW class; and then the summer SAT with Ms. Murphy. She is the most experienced English teacher I have had. I could not have gotten these high scores without herhelp.” Another student John’s parent commented: “John only participated in the intensive session for 10 days; he improved a lot in his reading part, which was normally his weakness; we are very happy that he got 720/800. Thanks Ms. Murphy very much for your help.” We congratulate the students for their hard work, diligent practice, and outstanding results!
- One student joined the Intensive SAT Review, and achieved 720/800. Another student received 770/800; J. C. joined our summer PSAT/SAT camp in 2016 and received the almost perfect SAT score in May 2017. Congratulations to all our students and parents!
Comments from Math Teacher Professor Nefissi:
“I loved his class and he was so helpful and made Math (Calculus) more fun despite it being incredibly hard. The key to pass is practice.” “This is my second time taking one of his math classes. I highly recommend taking his. His quizzes are difficult but his tests are straightforward and he gives you a practice test. He really cares about his classes and makes the lectures interesting.”
Testimony (Chinese version):
家长们评价：学生们上过Ms. Murphy ‘高中阅读写作课’ 和SAT课以后，英文提高很快。不仅做题练出了速度和技巧，
感谢Oakton Academy 给孩子提供了一个进深提高的平台。孩子特别赞赏Ms. Murphy critical reading and writing class，老师严谨的教学态度，循序渐进的教学方法，